Wednesday 22 June 2011

Yum!! Almond & homemade damson jam slice, ever so nice!!

Almond & damson slice
 When I was squirrelling away the blackcurrant jam I made the other day, I found a jar of homemade damson jam.  Wahey!!  Treasure!  A recipe was calling me - almond and damson slice, which has a topping made with meringue & ground almonds, and is delicious!!  You can, if you are in a coconut mood, substitute a good dessicated coconut for the almonds, which is in my opinion, even nicer!! 
Here how I did it -
Preheat your oven at 170 fan. you need an 11x7 inch tray, lined with baking paper

Base ingredients
100g butter
200g SR flour
50g caster sugar
2 egg yolks

Topping ingredients
about 8 tbsp (most of a jar!) jam, I like blackcurrant with the coconut, and damson works well with the almond.
3 egg whites
100g caster sugar
200g dessicated coconut OR 200g ground almonds

- base first, rub butter into flour, add sugar, egg yolks and 2 tbsp cold water, and press into the tin
- spread lots of lovely jam all over the base, and dont be mean with it!!
- whisk egg whites to hard peaks, fold in the sugar and whichever nut you are using, and spread over the jam
- some flaked almonds on top of the almond version looks nice.
Bake for about 20 - 25 mins until golden makes about 21 squares. Enjoy!
Smells amazing!!
    And whilst I was waiting for this to bake, I made a quick batch of bread dough in the KitchenAid (Betty). I used sesame oil in the dough, and brushed some on top of each bun before they went into the oven.  Here it is, fresh from the oven, wish I could let you smell it too!!

No comments:

Post a Comment