Tuesday 21 June 2011

Breakfast muffins - healthy? good for you? Taste lush? - darn yes!!!

  
 
These were originally the Feel Good Muffins from the BBC Good Food site that a friend shared onto my wall, but gradually I have adapted them to my own tastes. You can mix and match fruit, seeds, nuts or choc, whatever you like and feel very virtous!!  I make these to take to work, for breakie.


175g SR flour
100g porridge oats, but not the instant kind
100g sugar (soft brown for pref, but caster/muscavado is fine)
2tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking powder
150ml milk
1 egg, mixed with the milk
4 tbsp (60ml) of oil, I like to use unrefined sunflower/safflower/rapseed oil, but ordinary sunflower will be fine
300g of mixed goodies ~ sunflower/pumpkin seeds, pecans/walnuts/hazelnuts, ready to eat apricots/prunes/cranberries/sultanas, and maybe some choc chips, plain choc works well. As long as the total weight doesn't exclude 300g.

Method is really simple, chuck it all in a big bowl, mix together and divide into 12 muffin cases, in a muffin tray, and bake at 180 fan for about 20 - 25 mins. I put a tray with a little water in the oven to help them rise before they firm up.

Let me know how you like yours!!   


2 comments:

  1. Hi Mandy, Tasty muffins that're good for me, I'll have some of that! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know how they turn out, Nana Jane. I used plain choc chunks, sunflower & pumpkin seeds and prunes in mine. What are you going to put in yours?

    ReplyDelete